Sunday, August 17, 2008

reparation money

I believe that The U.S. government should not give reparation money to the children from slaves because it would be a waste of time and it would cost a lot of money.
First of all, we would have to do DNA tests to determined if the people, had ancestors that were slaves. This could take up to 8 weeks. Then, we would have to do a psychological evaluation which would take more time, and people would have to weight some more depending on how much time is given. Also, we would be wasting time by arguing how much money they would be entitled to.
This will also cost a lot of money. According to africanDNA.com, a complete test will cost 1000 77 dollars. Now, multiply this by lets say, 10000 children of slaves. Then, we would have to pay 10770000 dollars. We would have to find in which way did the slave era affected the child which would require a psychological evaluation. Because every state is different, it is hard to put a price on how much this service would cost. Also, since slavery ended 143 years ago, it would be hard to prove that someone was affected.
If we were to give 10000 people 10000 dollars, we would be paying 100000000 dollars. I would also imagine that we would have to pay the people that will take care of the paperwork. Just on the reparation money and DNA tests the government will spend about 110000000 dollars. This amount would rise if we add the people who will do the printing, sorting, distribution, etcetera along with the people who would do the other things that I have mentioned. There are a few questions that need to be considered. What about those people, who are not black, but there ancestors were? Should they get paid reparation money, despite there skin color? What is the government going to do if someone commits fraud? I think we should also pay other ethnic groups because they have been mistreated. For example, the Japanese, the Hispanic, and the Native Americans. As an example, I could say that since my mom and dad were taken away from me because they were illegally in this country, and since I was born with a disability, I had to struggle to survive. If things were changed a little bit, and I went with them, I could say that as a result of being taken out my country, I did not have the services that I was supposed to have which caused me to be in a worse condition than in the one I was before I was taken away.
I believe that if this plan is accepted, our country will finally hit rock bottom.
1 April, 2008
http://www.africanDNA.com

No comments: