Thursday, June 26, 2008

texting, technology, and school.

Technology has been in a way bad for us. The machines that were made a long time ago used to help a lot but now some want the machines to do everything for them. Those machines were invented so they could help. Men as well as women, used to be really tired from doing a lot of work. Machines, such as the typewriters, made things much easier. Although these things were made, People still had to put 100 percent into their job. Back then, there was no such thing as an email address or blog. Whatever you wanted, you would have had to write it and mail it.
It is surprising how things have changed. It is all about here and now. Now, we have texting by computer. What is it called? Internet lingo? This is a problem because it is ruining are English language as well as other languages. It is doing this by cutting words or phrases, so young students don’t have to write the entire word or phrase. I always have to ask myself Why are they doing this.
According to www.pewinternet.org, 60 percent of teens do not think of their emails, instant and text messages as writing. What is it then? A secret code so no one else can understand them? Or are they just saving time. If it is the second one, all I have to say is that everything in life takes time. This is if you want everything to come out the way you expected.
Have you ever tried cooking something fast, and it did not taste good because you took little time in preparing it? This is how writing is. In able for people to understand what someone is writing, they have to take their time to write. Kids also have to remember that not everyone who is young will understand their lingo.
The pew internet also says that 85 percent of people from ages 12 to 17 utilize some form of written communication. I think this is good because they are learning how to use a specific technological component. In our changing world, kids as well as adults, have to be ahead of technological advances. We always need to think how we can help this person.
Like in everything else, we need to be very careful because there could be a big problem. The problem arises when students bring informal writing to schools. 64 percent of students bring some type of variation of this stile and apply it to their school work.
Although I don’t know this internet lingo very well, I wanted to take shortcuts when I had an exam in college. Sometimes, I did not know the full answer, or I did not know what words to use. At that point, I just tried to connect every bit of information that I had about what the teacher was asking me. It would take me a long time to come up with something that made sense, but when I did, I kept on writing until I had written everything down. Because I took my time, I had a high grade.
I forgot some of the things that I was supposed to know because I was not really interested in the subject. In able for me to get answers right in an exam, I have to be interested in the subject. I have to be motivated. As I said before, not being able to recall the answer to a question, I was tempted to say whatever came to my mind. This study also found that other students have to be motivated in able to write. They have to like the subject that they are writing about.
This leads me to my next question. Why teachers don’t let their students choose the type of exam that they are going to take? As we all know, one method may not be good for all students. By doing this, everyone wins. Students will be encouraged to write lengthy essays, and teachers could give better grades. I wonder what would happen if this was put into practice.
Students feel that more instruction and more focus on writing will improve their writing even more. This tells me that these students want to learn, but the education system needs to listen to them. And the parents need to do their job. They need to read and write with their child, so when that child is old enough, he or she will love to read and write. It also means that parents have to go to the meetings that schools have. This will let the parent know the progress of his or her child. In other words, they need to work with the school. Also, by doing these things, the mom and dad are showing an interest for their child’s school and education. If before children did not feel loved by mom and dad, now this has changed just because of what one or both parents did. I hope that parents learn that it is up to them to learn about what their child is doing. Learn to decipher those codes that they have. Then teach them that the computer should not be used to make a language bad. A mom or dad should teach their children that just because that child is not writing for a teacher, he or she should not destroy the language. Always reinforce what the child learned in school. Finally, parents must tell their child that as a parent, it is necessary to do all of these things because of love, and because they want the child to succeed.

No comments: