Wednesday, June 25, 2008

opening up doors

Opening up doors
When I was small, I had two dreams that I wanted to come a reality. One of them was to become a soccer player. However, that did not happen because I was told that I was never going to see. I also wanted to become a lawyer, but I decided that it was going to be a tedious career. Finally, one dream that I never expected to become true was going to change my life for ever. A lot of doors opened up when I became a singer. I thought that this was something that was going to last for a little while, but I never thought that writing songs, doing interviews, and being in a movie would drastically change my life. When I asked the music teacher if I could join the band, he said yes. I did not know if I was capable of writing songs, but when I started to Wright my first song all of a sudden, the words and the melody came to me. The second one that I wrote, I was able to put the words to it with the help of my classmates. When it came time for me to sing, I had to sing it several times until I had it dun. When I started to write songs, I wondered if people were going to like it. I soon discovered that people immediately liked them and wanted to hear the songs. A few months after composing one of my songs, I started to perform it in clubs. The song is called two faces on Fidel. I was afraid because I did not know how the people were going to react. The people clapped when I introduced the song, but the applause was much bigger when I finished it. After singing the song several times, people started coming to me and saying” I enjoyed the song very much." I had lengthy conversations of how that song was maid. Also, because the song was very political, I got asked many questions. The ones that I enjoyed the most were what were my thoughts on politics . I was even asked if I wanted to do a video on that song but that never happened. Because of that song, people bought more CDS. Some even asked me if I could make them a copy.
People say that I am a serious person, and that is why people wanted to interview me. Even though I knew this, I was asking myself" what is so special about that? The first time that I did an interview, I felt nervous, and I used to stutter a lot. in the beginning, people used to ask me questions such as" what do you think of your music." however the questions became too personal, and I was starting to feel uneasy. I felt this way one day that I was doing an interview in Big Bare. This interview was done for a documentary. The question that a lady asked was" what do you think love is? I answered the best way as I could. Out of respect, I used to answer them, but now, I try to avoid answering those questions. People have told me that they learned a lot after we got dun with thee interview. On one occasion, a person asked me" how old are you? When I told him, he said “you sound much older than that. People have also told me that they thought that I was angry. However, after they got a chance to talk to me, they discovered I was a different person. I started to get respect from many people and the more I did interviews the more I was able to express my ideas.
Finally, doing a movie has given me an immense satisfaction. we went to Austin Texas to do a movie called The Ringer. I felt good because it was the first time since I have been to Texas after 16 years. I have to say that sitting for a long time to shoot the scene was becoming boring. ONE day, we had to weight for 8 hours. We were told that we were supposed to shoot are scene but after a few hours, The director of the band who is also one of the guitar players in the band, told the rest of us that we had to come back the next day. Once on the set, the director of the movie said that we had to dance. I wanted to get out because we had to do the same routine over and over. It took a year for the movie to come out but when it did, I felt that I had achieved something that I never imagined I could do. I am thankful to the director and to the producers of this movie because this will lead me to bigger things.
Selling CDS has generated some income for me and the documentary which I am working on is going to educate people. When the movie goes out on DVD, It is going to leave me with some money. Because of this career, I have been earning money that has helped me to get thru college and I have also been very successful. I am glad that this career has given me the opportunity to grow. Because of what I have dun, I am a happy person

No comments: