Saturday, June 21, 2008

being blind

Being blind
What is being blind? A lot of people do not know. It is not only the fact that a person cannot see, but it also means not being able to see the bad things that you or someone else is doing., Physical blindness is having vision of 20/200 6/60 or less. In the other case, it means having anger for a long time, being envious, selfish, resentful, holding a grudge, making fun of others, and a lot of other things. Some people think that being blind is easy. That is to say, being physically blind, but the truth is that it is hard. when I have told people that I am blind and that I go to school, they say, " I would not be able to make it." in my situation, it has been a struggle because I cannot read Braille, a lot of people don't talk to me, and I do not get the help that I need. People ask me why am I blind. I tell them that I was born with cerebral palsy. Cerebral palsy is a condition caused by brain damage before, during or after a lady has given birth. Cerebral palsy affects the muscles in the body and as a result it makes it difficult for a person to keep his or her balance among other things. Because of this condition, I have not been able to learn Braille. People have been asking over and over, “when are you going to learn Braille? You know that Braille is important for you because it will help in life and in your education! This has been frustrating because there have been occasions when I would have liked to yell at them and say, “Stop bothering me! You don't know how it feels to be blind and not know Braille." I have been able to access information by using the computer which has a screen reader. A screen reader is a computer program that blind people use to read what is on the screen. Using this technology, I am able to access the internet, read books, and more. As I am typing, the program is reading each key that I am pressing. In elementary I received an award for using the computer well. Most of the time I do not need anybody to read me anything because I know the package in which things come in. I do not go to big restaurants. Finally, I have a scanner that I can use to read my documents.
Another thing that I have to deal with is people not talking to me. Most people will just stare and or not say anything. I have three examples. For instance, one afternoon the bus stopped. When I got on the driver was staring at me. I knew this because after we got off, my mom told me about what had happened. Another example is when I went to a restaurant. Everyone got asked what they wanted to eat except for me. I remember that one of my family members had to ask me the question. An example that I vividly remember, is when I was having my mobility class. I was walking around the block when suddenly, my cane hit a thing. My mobility teacher told me that there was a person sitting down. My mobility teacher asked the person to say something the next time.
Finally, I do not receive help when I ask for it. One day, when I was in high school, I needed help with math. The teacher as well as the person who was helping me was absent. There was a substitute, but there was know one to help me. I asked for help to some students, but they ignored me. One of the students told another one, "I am not going to help him, you do it! I was very disappointed because not even the teacher helped me. In thee end, a guy that I knew helped me with my work. I was thinking of telling the teacher what had happened, but I decided that it would be good to leave the situation as it was.
When I am in college, there are people who keep walking by after I had asked them for help. Nevertheless, there have been a few people who have helped me.
Sometimes, I do not understand why people do these things. I am just blind, and people should not be afraid of a visually impaired person. It is too bad that people who are sited cannot become blind for one day. If that were to happen, people would think twice before treating blind people as if they were invisible. What would you do if you were blind and got treated wrong?

No comments: