Thursday, July 3, 2008

angry

Angry, this is what some people think I am when they see me or when they talk to me. Am I angry? Yes, I am angry because I am not able to help out.
For example, When I was living with my family, I seldom helped. This was because when I started to help out, somebody always told me, “you don’t need to do that.” Sometimes, A person would say, “You cannot do that because you are going to hurt yourself.” I did not like this. I could not say anything because I thought that was bad. After they saw my sadness, they started to give me small things to take from one place to another.
When I was in a class, I used to be frustrated because I was not able to help out people. I got to sit on the corner just listening to people talk and tables, chares, and carts moving. I felt likeI was not part of the class.
It angers me that being the country with the most money, the US is not helping those who are living here and are less fortunate than most of us. Yes, some if not most of them could work, but we should remember that there are children out there who need our help. I think that they should be going to school. I think that instead of spending money on things that we do not need, we could spend it on these kids until there parents could have enough money to get a small apartment. Things would be much better if more organizations could help these people out. If we did these things, there would be less homeless people on the streets.
Yes, I am angry because of the attitudes that most people have when they see or talk to a person who has a disability. Some people think because a person is disabled he or she cannot have something interesting to say. Furthermore, the people who treat people like this think that these people cannot have an opinion. Therefore, they should be silent and accept whatever people give them because only the” normal” people know what is best for them. This is absurd. I still don’t know where this kind of thinking originated from.
People keep saying that this is a good country where you could make your dreams come true. O! Really? This gets me angry, for it is not always trew.
I want to become a broadcaster, but that dream is slipping away because I have to take a class which is not suitable for a blind person. This is a class that I have to take instead of a class that I took last year. That class was broadcasting 4a which required students to write down what they saw on a video. They had to describe what was on the video as if they were in front of the seen. I could understand if a person who is blind but was able to see a few years ago, could take this class. He or she would probably be able to remember things, so this class would not be as hard. I was born blind, and I am not able to picture almost anything. I rely on my hearing skills, but the problem was that in this class the video had no sound that would let me know what was happening. Also, I had to write the story using a specific kind of format. I was not aloud to do the writing my way. I got an F in that class.
Now, I am taking journalism 1, which basically, at least for me, it is the same thing as broadcasting 4a. I have to analyze a story using not only the story, but also any pictures, videos, or any other thing that is included with the story. I have to write what these things say about a story. Do they help the story? Then, I have to see where in the newspaper this story is located. What does this say about the story. How am I supposed to know this? How am I supposed to know how everything is arranged and what does it mean, if I cannot see the screen? If I don’t pass this class, I will not get my AA degree.
There were a lot of things that I wanted to do, but because of my cerebral palsy, I am not able to do them. A few examples are: swimming, playing the piano, playing soccer, among others. To think that I will be able to do the same things that a sighted person does or that I will be able to do them the same way, is beyond me. People should stop and change these classes. Mabey, People with disabilities were not able to do the jobs 50 years ago because of the technology. However, all of this has changed. Now people like me can become a broadcaster. So, Why do people want to make surten classes requirements?
This is a country where your dreams can become true! Tell that to the person who is getting 900 dollars a month From SSI. IF he or she works on top of that, they will cut part of the SSI check. I think the most that a person could make if he or she is working and getting SSI is 1300 dollars. Do the people who are ahead of this program know that the price of things have increased? Also, they should know that it is hard for people with disabilities to get a job. Usually, they have to fight hard to get one. 70 percent of people with disabilities are unemployed. This is also why I am angry. No one should be discriminated.
I cannot believe that knowing that there are jobs, the people who could see, don’t take advantage of them. I could say that if I was offered the Job, I would take it in an instant. We should not be ashamed of the work we do as long as it's decent.
I ask you to please open your eyes and your harts. Listen to us, and the things that we have to say. You may find a purpose for your life. I think that the words that Jesus said in the book of Matthew chapter 25 verses 41 to 43 are much better than my own words.
41Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: 42For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
43I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
KJV
What does Jesus want? He wants us to do all of the things that the ones on his left will not do. What is happening now? People don’t want to take the time to do these things.
In an article that I read, the author had a vision. There was a part of his vision that almost made me cry. This is an article that I love and every time I read it, I am left without words.
This article is titled, “the greatest gift.” In part of the vision that the author had, he saw Jesus sitting alone by a rode as busy people were running up and down. Some people were stopping to talk to him, but it was only for a few minutes and only to let him know what they were going to do for him or what they wanted from him. Jesus wanted a lot of things for these people. For example, He wanted them to find fulfillment in serving Him. However, what he really wanted was for people to sit with him and talk to him. He wanted to give his love to them.
Go to,
www.bibleanswers.com, for more articles.
This vision reminds me of a story of the bible about two sisters. There are two versions. I will use the one that is found in Luke 10 verses 38 to 42. 38Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house. 39And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word. 40But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore
that she help me. 41And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: 42But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.
I believe that the US is like Martha. Most people in this country do not stop to help out anyone. Instead, they go on doing things which are not going to last. If you keep on going this way, you may miss the greatest gift of your life
Although it angers me that people are more like Martha than Mary, I know that this will change very soon. Hope is the last thing that I will lose. I will keep on talking about this great problem until it is no longer a problem.

No comments: